Monday, September 21, 2009

I May Never Have to Pay for Food Again!

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! I've been good and busy. Busy is good because now I feel productive!

Last Tuesday I had my first day interning at the Drafthouse. It's so fun and laid back there! I only work 2 days, 5 hours total per week, but I wouldn't mind working more because it's really fun! On Tuesday I learned how to capture footage from a DVD and youtube. Good stuff! I then started making a promo trailer for a Betty Page tribute night that is going on at the Lake Creek Alamo next month. I ended up finishing it on Thursday, so it didn't take that long. On Thursday, I also learned about my perks for interning! My perks only work at the Lake Creek Alamo which is a little further away, north on 183, but it's not too far. I can basically take a guest to see any movie (but not on fri or sat) and get free movies for both of us and free FOOD AND DRINK (including beer!) It. is. amazing. I just have to make sure to tip really nicely. So of course, that very night, Darian and I went to see Extract. We got 2 tickets, a pizza, popcorn, 1 drink, and raspberry cheesecake for a total of $5!! I am loving this! (The movie was pretty terrible so I was glad I didn't have to pay for it!) We went again last night and saw The Informant and got lots of tasty goodies. And it was especially exciting because my Betty Page promo trailer aired before the movie!! It was so cool/scary to see something I made on the screen! This week I will be working on a trailer for Macho Man Mondays at the Katy Alamo, and for a holiday season promo. Tomorrow after work I think we might be having a welcome intern lunch. Fantastic!

At my other internship, I worked on Wed and Fri, both were busy busy days. I then had to work in the morning on Saturday. I got to the office at 9am, was the 1st one there, so i made full pots of coffee. I waited. and waited. At 10:30 I was still the only one there!! I emailed my supervisor and she said that a lot of people took Sat off that week because the head honchos were out of town. She told me to stay until Fed-Ex made a delivery. Luckily that happened soon. I signed for the package, made a couple errand stops, then got to go home. But man, was I a little baffled as to why I was the only person at the office. Why did I have to be there so early!!?? hmm.. Well, beside that little frustration, I am really enjoying that internship as well. Lots of really cool people working there!

Last week I had a craving for south american food, so Darian and I tried this place called Casa Colombia which is on 7th street on the East side. It was this really small authentic place, and it was A-Ma-Zing! My goodness, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! To start we had the fried plantains stuffed with mozzarella cheese. Now who the hell thought of that?? It was basically this crunchy buttery big patty, and inside were plantains and gooey cheese. Truly delicious! For dinner I had some sort of shredded beef in yummy sauce with black beans, rice, and plantains. It was one of those meals where it is so easy to completely clear the plate. I was so content after that meal. They also serve real fruit juice smoothie things that you can have mixed with water or with milk (they had these a lot in Costa Rica). Darian got a mulberry one and it was served in a really cool goblet. I recommend it whenever any of you are in austin! If you look it up online, you will see it gets amazing reviews.

Today, one of my 2 days off, Melanie and I went to Barton Springs for the last nice day before the cold front. We actually got in the water too. Then we went to Sushi Nichii for happy hour.

Here are a couple of kitten pics, I can't resist.









Well, I better get to bed. As for my title this week, I think that if I plan it right, on weekdays I shouldn't have to pay for food. Free lunch or dinner at work, free food at the drafthouse, and free food at Freddie's (which i need to do more often!!) Alright, well I hope you guys have a great week! :)

1 comment:

  1. Your internships sound co neat! I wish I could see your trailers!!! THat was always one of the things I loved about Drafthouse. And hell yea for free food!!! I need to figure out some free food places here.

    Ms. Juicebox is adorable... i wish I could play with her :( I love the second pic.

    ReplyDelete