Monday, October 12, 2009

Birthday Weekend

Hi Everyone!

So I'm just relaxing after a fun birthday weekend. It is kinda chilly out and I am really loving it! It's like I get to enjoy the other half of my wardrobe!

So this past week I got to celebrate my birthday, which is always fun :) It started on Wed when Darian brought me roses after work. Melanie and I went to Crave for some happy hour sushi, and it was pretty tasty! Not the best sushi ever, but pretty good, especially for the prices (we had 4 8-piece rolls and 2 beers for $28 total, including tip). We had a hard time finding parking so we parked outside the Block for old times sake. Walking back to our car after happy hour, we decided to stop by the lovely convenience store across the street and picked up a bottle of wine. We came back to the apt and drank wine and chatted. Then Darian came home and his friends Mike and Kyle came over with beer and stuff. We all hung out and it was pretty fun. We also ate some cake balls that I had made the day before. I found the recipe on the website that Van had posted on her facebook. Bakerella or something? They are fun to make and tasty, and so much cheaper than buying them at Holy Cacao on 1st street.

The next day, my actual birthday, I had to work in the morning, but at least it was for only 2 1/2 hours. I didn't tell my boss that it was my birthday, because I feel like when you get to a certain age, you can't just be like "It's my birthday!!! Wahoo!" to everyone you see. Because then it's like, now what? So my assignment for the day at the Drafthouse was to make a "how the drafthouse works" ad. Those were kinda my only guidelines, so I had like all of youtube and my brain to figure out something fun and unique. I came up with nothing. I hope it was partly because it was my birthday, lol, and I was antsy. I'll hopefully go to work tomorrow with some good ideas.

After work, I went to Orbit (which is now on E. Cesar Chavez street) to get my bangs trimmed. Then Melanie and I went out to Freebirds. Afterwards, I went home and took a naaaaap. Kinda lame, I know, but I enjoyed it very much. When Darian came home, we hung out for a while, and then got ready for dinner and Darian's show.

For dinner we went to Uchi!! Yay! My first time to go there! We couldn't find any parking spots, so we had to park next door in a spot that we weren't supposed to park in until after 8pm (it was 7:50). Since I've had bad experiences with tow-trucks, I said we should be careful. Darian actual went inside the place (a dog boarding place) and asked if we could go ahead and park there. They said not until 8pm. (seriously??!!) So we sat in the car and each drank a little bottle of Tequila left over from my birthday 2 years ago!! Finally, it was 8 and we went inside and had a glass of wine while we waited for our table. Not a very long wait though.

Uchi was very tasty!! It's so expensive though, and we really didn't eat too much. I probably could have kept on eating, but I wanted to be considerate of Darian's pocket, lol. There were like 2 people at the restaurant that had baseball caps on. It's just so weird. I was wondering if everyone there was there on their 1 special night out a year or something. I just don't understand why you would wear a baseball cap and a fancy sushi restaurant! So, by the time we sat down i was already drunk, i don't know how, but I was. Maybe because of my midday nap. So to eat we had some yellowtail sashimi in like a citrus sauce that was really yummy. Then we had some salmon nigiri and only 2 rolls. Somehow, it ended up being a good amount. But thinking about it now, i don't know how i didn't keep ordering!

Part of the reason was that we had to get to the Low Lows show at the Continental Club. Melanie, Mike, and Kyle met us there and Kyle bought me some bday drinks. We watched the show and Parker (the band leader) gave me a birthday shout-out. Afterwards, we were disappointed that HomeSlice was closed. So we went back to our apt, and Melanie bought me a lovely Mc Donalds fries gift, so kind! I got tired really fast though, and was in bed way earlier than I should have been on my birthday!

The next day my parents stopped in Austin to have lunch at Mama Fu's and then drive me up to the cabin. I know i know, every weekend the cabin. I just love it so much! So Friday was mainly hanging out just me, mom, dad, cat, and dog. Darian was going to come up after work, but he called me to tell me he had a fever and didn't feel well :( so he stayed home. Luckily the next day he was feeling better, and he and scott both drove up. It was pretty cold so there was no kayaking or swimming, just snacking, games and hanging out, which is always cool with me. For dinner we had beef tenderloin and then had big cupcakes for dessert.

Sunday we drove home after a big breakfast, and then got to relax since it was cold and drizzly outside. Now it's Monday and I'm gearing up for a long day of double work tomorrow. I go to the drafthouse from 9:30-12, then go to TOL from 4-? (hopefully 9pm) Josie has been really crazy today. I think it's because she has so much fun and so much space at the cabin, so when she gets back here, she feels couped up and has a lot of energy. She has now realized how much fun it is when she escapes outside. Erg! 3 times today, when the door was just slightly opened, she dashed outside and tried to get away from us! This is all fine and good, unless she goes out into the street on North Loop! She wouldn't know what to do, because she has no survival skills or anything. I don't want her to die! So I'm going to have to develop a new strategy for dealing with the rascal.

Alright, that's all I have for now. I guess the weekend wasn't as exciting on paper, but it was mostly fun and relaxing to hang out with my fam. If I get a chance, I'll post pics later.

I'll leave you with this song I really like:

No comments:

Post a Comment